I figured I’d write a fun countdown leading up to my best films. These are films that either underperformed at the box office or panned by critics, but films I still thoroughly enjoyed. Here are my top five watchable flops!
5) Justice League – I expected Justice League to flop given the DCEU’s track record. Thanks to Joss Whedon stepping in (though under unfortunate circumstances), Justice League was a fun adventure movie instead of more destruction porn. Also, kudos to Whedon for finally getting Superman right!
4) Colossal – This quirky indie film was sadly overlooked last April. Colossal is part dark comedy and part giant monster movie, focusing on two self-destructive characters (played wonderfully by Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis). That’s all I’ll say without spoiling Colossal.
3) Power Rangers – As a 90’s kid, I had some serious excitement for the new take on Power Rangers. I was pleasantly surprised with the movie’s craftsmanship, the ensemble performances, and the film taking on social issues without pulling too hard on my heart strings. Power Rangers is a lighthearted superhero movie that never takes itself too seriously.
2) Alien: Covenant – I get why some fans loved Alien: Covenant (it was arguably the best Alien film in 30 years) and I get why some fans hated it (what was the tone?). I enjoyed Alien: Covenant specifically because it explored the androids’ mythology, depicting them as gods to the xenomorphs. Perhaps people wouldn’t have been disappointed if the film were titled Android?
1) Logan Lucky – Steven Soderbergh’s directorial return is a blast. Think of Logan Lucky as a satirical version of Ocean’s 11, but in the South. It’s a shame Logan Lucky flopped since it’s one of the funniest heist films and features a great comedic performance from Daniel Craig.
What were your favorite underrated movies of 2017?